Homeowner Assistance: File a Complaint or Grievance

Please Choose from One of the Following Options

To submit a Restore LA complaint online, click here to complete the form. Please make sure to hit submit once you’re done.

Solution 1 applicants may submit their complaints/grievances with their contractor for work that is not in keeping with established homebuilding contractor standards and workmanship. Applicants wishing to file a complaint/grievance must do so prior to sign-off on final construction payment and completion certificate.

To file a Solution 1 complaint/grievance, click here.

If you have any questions on how to file your complaint, please call our Customer Service Helpline at (866) 735-2001.